With a breed as old as the Sloughi almost everything known must be speculation, but twenty-first century DNA has lent a scientific hand. DNA testing has proved without a doubt that the Sloughi shares more of its DNA with the Afghan than the Saluki. Though the true origins of the Sloughi are now lost in time, their ancestry goes back thousands of years. A four - five thousand year old seal (pictured above) that was dug up on an archealogical site in Mesopotamia carries the images of dogs that closely resemble the modern day Sloughi.
The seal/medallion above links to a 3 thousand year old Wall painting from the Egyptian Tombs, depicting a dog sitting under the pharaohs throne, and clearly shows a long legged ,long bodied,smooth coated, sand coloured hound that carried no feathering, Lop ears that are folded back in a relaxed state / and a clear black mask , recognisable even today .... SURELY a Sloughi ?
LIVING WITH THE SLOUGHI
If you want to own a dog that is:
- Extremely sensitive to correction
- Affectionate to those he regards as his family
- More than capable of guarding you, your house, and your possessions
- Is biddable, clean, quiet and easy to groom
- Adores the 'comforts' of life and takes your breath away at the
sheer beauty of watching him move effortlessly at top speed Then the Sloughi is for you.
If you want to own a dog that:
- Will happily allow every stranger to touch him without backing off
- Will eagerly go for long walks in the rain.
- Will live contentedly on it's own in a kennel
- Will spin on a sixpence to get back
to you when he has just spotted something in the distance to investigate
- Will forgive easily anyone who manhandles him
- Does not suffer from 'selective deafness'
- Does not hunt using sight, sound, scent & SPEED
- Never feels the need to run simply for the sheer joy of running then this proud, primitive and elegant breed is definitely NOT for you